Several days ago I published how to write research paper outline. Today I want to extend that post with a term paper outline. The outline of the term paper should be considered as part and parcel of the entire term paper. When given this type of academic task, the main requirements from the writer will be to test how organized the student is or should be.
Carrying out a serious research and writing is something often not very easy. There is therefore the need of an outline to take you through the whole research and writing process. Your term paper must have a direction and the outline is that direction.
What you should also know is that the outline should be written in a simple manner. The outline is just the raw material for the whole term paper. If you think that the outline can be made use of in forming a readable and unified term paper, then you need to put in all your best in writing and shaping what is to be found in the outline. The outline should be written in point form. This is just to save time. There is nothing wrong in writing the outline in the same manner as the term paper will be written. This is provided you have all the time in doing so. Keep in mind that most of what will be found in the outline should be readable enough because you will only have to do some rewriting to complete the final term paper.
There are four basic steps that you have to make use of in coming up with the outline:
- Most of the materials that you place in the outline will not have to be selective.
- You will have to interpret what you have as materials for the outline. This means you will have to look at what is relevant and appropriate to your term paper.
- You will have to synthesize what you have as material for the outline. This is where you will have to blend all that you have into a unified whole.
- You will organize what you have so that when read in its entirety, it will sound more than an outline to a real term paper.
- Make sure that everything starting from the introduction, right up to the conclusion of your term paper has been properly represented. You should also take note of the fact that you can possible write out either a formal outline or an informal outline. The informal outline will of course be less elaborate than the formal outline.